The World Championship was a huge success
The Women’s Handball World Championship 2015 has been played in Denmark from the 5th to the 20th December in the four host cities, Herning, Naestved, Kolding and Frederikshavn. Although there were no medal matches for the Danish national team, the president of the Danish Handball Association, Per Bertelsen, now states that the championship has been a great success.
"I am very, very happy after this championship. All the goals we had set for the event, have been achieved: The arenas have been full of spectators and the atmosphere has been excellent, we have created unique, feminine and creative settings, and financially we also reach our goal," says Per Bertelsen and dedicates a great deal of credit to the host cities and the 1,200 volunteers:
"We have had great partners in the four cities. They have each in their own way embraced the event and identified themselves with it, so we have benefited greatly from their effort and ideas throughout the process," says Per Bertelsen who also notes that the partner, Sport Event Denmark, has been an important player in this context as well.
Not possible without volunteers
According to the Per Bertelsen the great volunteer effort made it possible to host the event, and he thanks the local handball clubs who provided most of the volunteers, Hauge GIF, Næstved Herlufsholm, Kolding IF and Frederikshavn FI.
"Once again, we have seen our volunteers provide a truly tremendous job. Without the volunteers we never could have hosted the event, that is for sure,” says Per Bertelsen.
A strong organization
The World Championship 2015 is one in a row of many Championships in Denmark and this means that there is a strong organization behind the championships, says the handball president:
"We have acquired a lot of experience in organizing championships - many of our people were even part of the Championships in Denmark in both 1999 and 2002 - so I am both pleased and proud that we collect that much experience and raise the level for every Championship. It is a great strength,” says Per Bertelsen.
Also with DHF partner, Sport Event Denmark, who has supported strongly in this World Championship, the satisfaction with the event is overwhelming.
"Four fantastic host cities, Naestved, Frederikshavn, Kolding and Herning, and one single small nation has certainly created a festive setting for this Handball World Championship in December. Several of the matches of Jyske Bank Boxen have been sold out, and close to two million were seated in front of the screen when Denmark played quarter-final against Romania. Internationally, Denmark has once again taken a leading position. Each time we in Denmark handle a championship, we can lift the bar. With the European Championship for men last year and the World Championship for women this year, we have a good basis for future handball championships in our country - World Championship for men in 2019 and European Championship for women in 2020, "says Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark.
Figures from the World Championship:
- 150,000 spectators visited the World Championships
- 850 journalists were accredited to the World Championship
- 1,200 volunteers worked during the World Championship
- 42,000 is the estimated number of volunteer hours spent at the World Championship
- 1,975 million viewers watched the World Championship quarter-final between Denmark and Romania on Danish DR
Facts about World Championship
- The World Championship was played from December 5th to December 20th.
- Denmark played all matches at Jyske Bank Boxen in Herning
- DHF held the World Championship in close cooperation with the host cities and Sport Event Denmark
- Host cities were Herning, Kolding, Naestved and Frederikshavn
- The World Championship was organized under the slogan “Heart of Handball”
- The World Championship could be followed on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snap Chat under the name Heart of Handball